It’s difficult to believe that the famous SMOK Nord pod system is already in its fourth generation. Though it sometimes feels like the Nord has only just appeared on the market, SMOK has actually tinkered endlessly with this product behind the scenes and continues to iterate on the Nord’s design and features. The SMOK Nord 4 has arrived, and we’ve got the ultimate instruction manual and guide for this hot new pod system right here.
We hope that you enjoy our SMOK Nord 4 instruction manual. If you’ve already ordered the Nord 4 and are trying to get a head start on learning how to use your new device before it arrives – or you already own the Nord 4 and are trying to fix a problem with it – you’ll find the information you need right here. We’ll also provide a brief history of the SMOK Nord series, which should aid your decision if you already own an earlier SMOK Nord and are trying to decide whether to upgrade.
Let’s dig in!
SMOK Nord 4 vs. Nord X, Nord 2 and Nord: Is It Worth the Upgrade?
If you’re followed the development of the SMOK Nord series, you’ve probably noticed that there’s been quite a lot of feature creep over the years. While the original SMOK Nord was a low-wattage device aimed squarely at beginning and intermediate vapers who preferred high-strength nicotine salt e-liquid, Nord devices have slowly migrated away from the mouth-to-lung vaping paradigm over the years.
With its larger airflow vents, the SMOK Nord 4 caters to the direct-to-lung crowd more than any other Nord device. You definitely wouldn’t want to use it with high-nicotine e-liquid – and you may not like the increased complexity of a device that becomes a bit more like a full-fledged vape mod with each generation. If you’re happy with your vaping experience as it currently is, there’s no reason to buy the Nord 4. If you’re looking for more power, though, you’ll definitely find it with this device.
Here’s an overview of how the different SMOK Nord devices compare and what features each new device offers compared to the previous device.
- 1,100 mAh battery
- 15 watts
- No wattage adjustment
- Uses Nord coils
- 37 amp charging speed
SMOK Nord 2
- 1,500 mAh battery
- 40 watts
- Adds display and adjustable wattage
- Uses Nord or RPM coils
- 2 amp charging speed
SMOK Nord X
- 1,500 mAh battery
- 60 watts
- Adds buttons for easy wattage adjustments
- Adds shock, water and dust resistance
- Adds e-liquid window
- Uses RPM or RPM2 coils
SMOK Nord 4
- 2,000 mAh battery
- 80 watts
- Adds adjustable airflow
- Adds leather trim option
- Removes shock, water and dust resistance
- Removes e-liquid window
- Uses RPM or RPM2 coils
Wondering what happened to the SMOK Nord 3? The answer is that it doesn’t exist. Since the SMOK Nord X was the third-generation Nord device, the designers at SMOK decided to skip the “Nord 3” moniker entirely.
What Pods and Coils Are Available for the SMOK Nord 4?
If you’re familiar with the SMOK Nord series, you know that the coils are interchangeable between the different devices. As long as you’re using the correct pod for the coil – and the coil’s resistance is within the device’s supported range – you can use any coil with any device. The SMOK Nord X and Nord 4 both support SMOK RPM and RPM2 coils, so there are no coils that you can use with the SMOK Nord 4 but can’t use with the SMOK Nord X.
The SMOK Nord 4 works with the following coils.
SMOK RPM Coils
- 3-ohm mesh coil (10-15 watts); for mouth-to-lung vaping
- 4-ohm mesh coil (25 watts); for direct-to-lung vaping
- 6-ohm triple coil (25 watts); for direct-to-lung vaping
- 8-ohm dual coil (16 watts); for mouth-to-lung vaping
- 0-ohm single coil (14 watts); for mouth-to-lung vaping
- 2-ohm quartz coil (12 watts); for thick oils
- RBA coil; build your own coil with a minimum resistance of .25 ohm
SMOK RPM2 Coils
- 16-ohm mesh coil (25-50 watts); for direct-to-lung vaping
- 6-ohm dual coil (12-25 watts); for mouth-to-lung vaping
How to Charge the SMOK Nord 4
You can charge the SMOK Nord 4 by connecting it to your computer using the included USB-C cable. When the device charges, the screen displays a percentage indicator. It also displays an estimate of how long it’ll take until the charging process is complete. When the device is fully charged, the screen will display “100%.”
How to Fill the SMOK Nord 4
To fill the SMOK Nord 4, start by pulling the pod out of the device. You’ll see a red silicone stopper on the side of the pod. Lift the stopper and add e-liquid to the pod until the reservoir is almost full. Replace the pod and return it to the device. Don’t begin vaping until you’ve given the coil a few minutes to absorb the e-liquid.
How to Vape with the SMOK Nord 4
After you disconnect the SMOK Nord 4 from the charging cable, you’ll probably find that the device is turned off. Press the fire button five times quickly until you see the SMOK logo. Give the device a moment to start up, and you’ll be ready to vape.
When the SMOK Nord 4 starts up, the screen displays the device’s current wattage. If it shows a number that’s higher than the recommended wattage range for the coil you’re using, press the “-“ adjustment button to lower the wattage. When you’re breaking in a new coil, it’s a good idea to start at the bottom of the coil’s recommended wattage range and increase the power slowly.
To vape with the SMOK Nord 4, simply hold the fire button while puffing. If you’re not happy with the airflow characteristics, turn the ring above the fire button until you achieve your ideal draw.
How to Replace the SMOK Nord 4 Coil
After several days of vaping, you’re going to find that the SMOK Nord 4 doesn’t produce the same flavor quality that it did when the coil was new. That means it’s time for a new coil. To replace the SMOK Nord 4 coil, start by removing the pod from the device. On the bottom of the pod, you’ll see the circular outline of the coil. Pull the coil out of the pod and push a new coil in. After filling the tank, don’t start vaping right away. The coil’s cotton wick needs to be completely saturated with e-liquid before you press the fire button.
NOTE: Some SMOK Nord 4 pods have a child-resistant mechanism that prevents easy removal of the coil. If your pod has that mechanism, you’ll need to move a small plastic tab on the bottom of the pod to release the coil. After installing a new coil, move the tab to its original position to lock the coil in place.
How to Fix Problems with the SMOK Nord 4
The engineers at SMOK have been designing industry-leading vaping devices for many years now, and that means you can generally expect a completely problem-free experience with the SMOK Nord 4. If you do happen to encounter an issue, though, we’ve got your back. In this section of our SMOK Nord 4 instruction manual, we’ll explain how to troubleshoot any problem you might encounter.
If you have a problem that you’re unable to fix, don’t be shy – leave a comment! The comment areas in our instruction manuals often end up becoming lively discussion areas, and there’s a good chance that someone will chime in with a potential solution for you.
SMOK Nord 4 Not Charging
If your SMOK Nord 4 isn’t charging, the first thing that you should check is the USB cable. You probably have a spare USB-C cable – the cable that came with your phone, for instance – that you can try using. USB cables are very fragile, and they rarely last as long as the devices that come with them.
Don’t forget that, like all vaping devices, the SMOK Nord 4 is designed for charging through a computer. Don’t try charging the device with the wall adapter for a smartphone or tablet. If the Nord 4 doesn’t charge when you connect it to your computer – even after trying a different USB cable – you should try a different computer or USB port.
SMOK Nord 4 Not Hitting
If your SMOK Nord 4 isn’t hitting, follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue.
- Turn the device on by pressing the fire button five times quickly until you see the SMOK logo.
- Press the fire button three times quickly to unlock the device.
- Charge the SMOK Nord 4 battery fully.
- Remove the pod and make sure that the coil is fully seated.
- If the device displays an error message when you try to vape, consult the guide at the bottom of this article.
SMOK Nord 4 Leaking
One of the great things about the SMOK Nord 4 is the fact that the coil’s triple-gasket system should make leaking almost impossible under normal usage conditions. If your device does happen to leak, though, the problem should be easily fixable with these steps.
- Don’t overfill the pod. If the pod is too full, you’ll push e-liquid out of the pod when you close the stopper.
- Always puff gently when you vape. If you use too much air pressure, you’ll flood the coil, and the e-liquid will spit from the top of the pod or leak out of the air vents.
- Remove the pod and check the coil. The pod will leak if the coil isn’t fully seated or has damaged gaskets.
SMOK Nord 4 Producing a Burned Taste
Vaping should always taste good – and if your SMOK Nord 4 produces a burned taste, it’s definitely a fixable problem. Here’s how to resolve it.
- Always wait several minutes before vaping when you install a new coil. If dry hits with the SMOK Nord 4 are a persistent problem for you, prime new coils before installing them by putting a little e-liquid on the wick openings.
- Lower your device’s wattage. If you’re too aggressive with the SMOK Nord 4’s wattage settings, you’ll end up burning the coil’s cotton wick.
- Replace the coil. If the coil’s wick is burned, the coil will always produce a bad flavor; there’s no way to resolve that issue. Also, it’s important to remember that every coil has a finite lifespan. A vape coil can last several days, but you may experience shorter coil life if you use heavily sweetened e-liquids because sucralose causes coil gunk.
SMOK Nord 4 Producing Weak Hits
A strong, satisfying hit is one thing that you should always be able to count on when you use the SMOK Nord 4. With 80 watts of power at your disposal, the Nord 4 produces enormous clouds compared to what you’d get with a first-generation pod system. If you experience weak hits with the Nord 4, these are the things that you should try.
- Increase the device’s wattage.
- Adjust the airflow. If you open the airflow, you’ll get bigger clouds; if you close the airflow, the vapor will become warmer and more intense.
- Try a different coil. If you switch to a coil with a lower resistance, you’ll get bigger clouds.
- Increase your nicotine strength. For most vapers, a nicotine strength of 3 mg/ml or 6 mg/ml will work well with the SMOK Nord 4.
SMOK Nord 4 Error Messages
We’ll conclude this SMOK Nord 4 instruction manual with the list of the error messages that you might see when using this device. If your SMOK Nord 4 isn’t hitting – and the screen displays an error message – you’ll find the solution here.
- BATTERY LOW: The device’s battery is nearly dead. Charge it soon to prevent the device from shutting down.
- GOODBYE: The device has shut itself down because the battery is dead. Charge the battery.
- OHMS TOO LOW or OHMS TOO HIGH: The coil’s resistance isn’t within the SMOK Nord 4’s supported range. If you’re using a pre-built coil, the coil probably has a manufacturing fault. You should replace it. If you’re using the RBA deck, you’ve built a coil with an unsupported resistance.
- NO ATOMIZER: The SMOK Nord 4 doesn’t detect the connected atomizer coil. Remove and reseat the coil. If the error persists, replace the coil.
- ATOMIZER SHORT: The connected atomizer coil has a short. Remove and reseat the coil. If the error persists, replace the coil. If you’re using the RBA deck, it’s likely that you made an error when building the coil. Check the make sure that the coil isn’t touching the interior of the RBA deck’s metal housing.
- TIME OVER: You’ve exceeded the SMOK Nord 4’s puff timer. Puffs need to be eight seconds or shorter.
- PCBA TOO HOT: The SMOK Nord 4 has overheated. Move the device to a cool place and wait a while before vaping again.
- POWER LOCK: The device’s locking function is enabled. Press the fire button three times quickly to unlock the device. The screen should then display the message POWER UNLOCK.