What company is the king of the dry herb vaporizer world? If you ask us, it has to be Storz & Bickel. The original Volcano vaporizer — the legendary fan-powered, balloon-filling desktop vaporizer that is as old as dry herb vaping itself — is still available and still widely considered the best dry herb vape on the market in terms of pure performance. It’s also $600. For just about half the price, the Storz & Bickel Mighty is a battery-powered vaporizer that gives you a portable herb vaping option with some of the same technology that the Volcano vaporizer made famous. It might also be the best portable vaporizer on the market; it’s certainly the best that has ever come through these doors. This is our Storz & Bickel Mighty review. Many of the world’s top vaporizer sellers offer the Storz & Bickel Mighty. We suggest the following sources:
- Storz & Bickel ($349)
- Namaste Vaporizers ($349 with free USA shipping and $20 off with mailing list subscription)
What Is the Storz & Bickel Mighty Vaporizer?
The Storz & Bickel Mighty is a portable battery-powered convection vaporizer that uses air to carry heat through your herbs and vaporize their active compounds. Read our article about convection vs. conduction vaporizers to learn more about how the two vaporizer oven types differ. In short, though, a convection vape has these benefits:
- Greater distance between the herb chamber and heating element means that the compounds in your herbs won’t vaporize until you inhale.
- Since the hot air penetrates through to the center of the herb chamber, convection heating tends to use your material more completely.
- A convection vape tends to be best for flavor because it heats the entire herb chamber simultaneously rather than heating from the outside in.
Unlike the Volcano vaporizer, the Mighty doesn’t have a fan that forces air through the herb chamber. Rather, the device draws fresh air in through a vent on the bottom of the device when you inhale. The air passes the heating element and becomes hot before traveling through the herb chamber. It’s a brilliant design that produces convection heating with no fan and eliminates virtually any chance of wasted material.
Mighty Vaporizer: Specs
- One of the coolest things about the Mighty is that it is made in Germany. The reality of the dry herb and e-liquid vaping industries is that most products are made in China because the Chinese electronics makers have the skills and the equipment to mass produce high-quality devices cheaply. It warms our hearts, though, to know that there is still room in the western world for companies to produce premium-quality electronics and earn livable wages for doing so.
- The Mighty has a temperature range of 104-410 degrees Fahrenheit (40-120 Celsius).
- The Mighty uses two 2900 mAh Panasonic 18650 batteries. The batteries are not intended to be removed by the end user.
- The Mighty works with both dry herbs and waxes/oils.
- The Mighty has an airflow detector and automatically shuts off after a short time if you haven’t inhaled or pressed a button.
- The Mighty includes a two-year warranty.
What’s Included With the Mighty?
The Mighty ships in an impressively big box that’s full of stuff. While it’s true that the add-ons aren’t as important as the device itself, it’s very nice to know Storz & Bickel went the extra mile to put together a full kit that really justifies the high price tag. Inside the box, you’ll find the following:
- The Mighty vaporizer
- A wall charging adapter
- A high-quality printed manual with instructions in multiple languages
- An herb grinder
- A filling tool — we’ll explain this in a moment
- An herb capsule — we’ll also explain this shortly
- A steel wool pad for oils and waxes
- A stiff cleaning brush
- Replacement screens and o-rings
As complete as this kit is, there are two additional items that you might want to grab if you’re going to become a long-term user of the Mighty. Those items are:
- Mighty Wear & Tear Set ($34.95): Includes replacements for the components of the Mighty that are most likely to wear out or become too dirty to clean. In the kit, you’ll get one extra cooling unit (the top component of the vaporizer), three mouthpieces, six screens, four liquid pads, one cleaning brush and two picking/packing tools. After you’ve used the Mighty for a few months, you’ll definitely want to grab this.
- Magazine With Dosing Capsules ($6.95): If you like the Storz & Bickel herb capsule system — as we do — you’ll definitely want to grab this. We’ll explain in a moment why we think the capsule system is so cool.
Loading the Mighty
The Mighty comes with its own filling accessory. Some people — perhaps accustomed to simply dumping in their herbs — have called the filling system overly complicated. We love it because it’s clean; no more herb particles everywhere whenever you fill your device. Every tiny bit goes directly into the chamber. Once you experience loading a vaporizer with absolutely no cleanup after, we think you’ll love the Mighty filling tool as much as we do. If you don’t like the tool, though, you can always fill the oven directly. Here’s how the filling tool works.
- Unscrew the tool’s clear top to expose the tray portion of the filling tool.
- Give the top section of the Mighty a one-quarter counterclockwise turn. Lift the section straight up to open the herb chamber.
- Dump your herbs straight from the grinder into the filling tool. The Mighty includes a two-part plastic grinder that works very well. After more than a month of daily use, it still turns smoothly, and none of the teeth have broken.
- Unscrew the filling tool’s orange bottom cover. Center the tool over the Mighty’s herb chamber and turn the tool clockwise to tighten it.
- Remove the clear plug from the center of the filling tool to expose the Mighty’s herb chamber. Use your finger — or the picking/packing tool from the bottom of the Mighty — to move the herbs into the oven.
- Use the clear plug or the picking/packing tool to pack the oven.
- Replace the plug and remove the filling tool.
- Replace the filling tool’s top and bottom covers.
- Replace the top portion of the Mighty.
Although the filling tool sounds complicated, we find that it’s actually a much faster way to fill a vaporizer than the old-fashioned “dump it in” method because there’s no mess to clean up afterwards.
Using a Half Oven Load?
The Mighty vaporizer works best with a full oven load. If you under-fill the device, the herbs might fly around in the chamber and will never reach the correct temperature for full vaporization. No problem — the people at Storz & Bickel thought of that. If you want to pack the oven with less than a full load, just top the oven with the included steel wool liquid pad.
What About the Mighty Dosing Capsules?
The Mighty includes one hollow perforated capsule that allows you to pre-pack a load of herbs and store it outside the vaporizer for later use. Upon trying the capsule for the first time, we immediately fell in love and ordered the magazine of eight capsules from Storz & Bickel. An open capsule fits right in the center of the Mighty filling tool, making it easy to fill the eight capsules all at once. Drop in a capsule, push the herbs in, pack the herbs down and close the capsule. Throw in another capsule and start over. You can fill all eight capsules in a matter of minutes, and then you’ve got your next eight vaping sessions pre-loaded and ready to go. We love the Mighty dosing capsules so much that they’re virtually all we use. There are two aspects of the dosing capsule system, though, that you should know about because they only become evident with long-term use.
- The capsules don’t make cleaning the Mighty unnecessary. You won’t get herb particles in your device anymore, but the herb chamber will still collect sticky resins. You’ll still have to clean your device periodically for the best experience.
- The capsules themselves will become dirty and sticky over time, and it’ll become difficult to open the capsules after a few uses. After using all eight of the capsules, we like to immerse them in vodka for a few hours. The vodka loosens the resins, making it possible to open the capsules and rinse away the spent herbs in the sink. The leftover vodka is also a quick-and-dirty ABV tincture that limits waste.
Mighty Vaporizer Review
At this point, we’ve discussed just about every aspect of the Storz & Bickel Mighty except what it’s like to actually use the thing. Welcome to the section of this article that you’ve been waiting for — our full Storz & Bickel Mighty review.
If you’re looking for a dry herb vaporizer that you can carry in your pocket like the DaVinci MIQRO, the Mighty isn’t it. Convection heating necessitates that there must be space between the heating element and the herb chamber. Convection vapes, therefore, must be larger than conduction vapes. The larger size of the Mighty, though, makes it possible to add elements such as fins on the outside for heat dissipation. Tiny conduction vaporizers like the DaVinci MIQRO and IQ get so hot that they’re almost painful to hold. That never happens with the Mighty because the entire body of the device is like a heat sink. So, the Mighty is definitely portable, but you won’t be carrying it in your pocket. If you’re curious, we like the Skunk Mr. Slick smell-proof bag. Totally smell free!
As mentioned above, the Mighty uses two 18650 batteries with a total capacity of 5,800 mAh. That’s some really massive battery life. Your mileage may vary, but we typically get around eight full-length vaping sessions from a full battery charge. Other companies write their claims for battery life with the assumption that you’ll be vaping at the lowest temperature setting for only a few minutes at a time. Is that really how you use your current vape, or do you actually use it until the herbs are fully spent — and then charge the device after because the battery is nearly dead? That’s not the experience you’ll have with the Mighty. This is a device that truly delivers some truly massive vaping time.
Now that you know everything there is to know about the Mighty, let’s discuss how the device actually vapes. The answer, in short, is that it’s phenomenal. Are you tired of stirring the herbs in your conduction vaporizer because the heat from the oven takes forever to reach the middle of the chamber? Are you tired of tasting burned popcorn at the start of your vaping session because the herbs on the outside of the chamber are torched even though the herbs in the center are still green? Convection vaping solves those problems by heating the full contents of the chamber almost simultaneously. Uniform heating and excellent airflow combine to create a vaping experience that’s big on flavor and allows you to enjoy the benefits of your herbs more quickly than ever. The next question on your mind, of course, is whether the Mighty produces as strong an effect as other vaporizers. Our answer is a subjective one, of course, but our experience is that the Mighty produces a stronger effect than other vaporizers with the same quantity of herbs. We also find that the Mighty — when loosely packed — produces about the same effect as a fully packed conduction vaporizer. The Mighty’s ability to conserve your herbs means that it can very quickly pay for itself. It reduced our herb usage dramatically.
Cleaning the Mighty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htls6fr49No Even if you use the Mighty exclusively with the dosing capsules, you’ll need to clean it periodically. To clean the Mighty, you’ll need the following items:
- Cotton swabs
- Rubbing alcohol
Here’s how to clean your Mighty vaporizer. Note that you’ll be disassembling the cooling unit at the top of the vaporizer during this procedure. You may find disassembly easier if the device is still warm from a recent vaping session.
- Fill a bowl with rubbing alcohol.
- Disconnect the cooling unit from the top of the vaporizer. If there are any used herbs in the oven, dump them out.
- Rotate the mouthpiece outward. Wiggle the mouthpiece gently while lifting it up to remove it from the cooling unit. Slide the silicone o-ring off of the mouthpiece. Put both items in the bowl of alcohol.
- Slide the lock at the top of the cooling unit — it has a “Mighty” logo — down and push it to the side to remove it.
- Pull the two halves of the cooling unit apart to separate the top from the bottom.
- Remove the two silicone o-rings from the bottom half of the cooling unit. You may find the picking/packing tool useful for this.
- Push the pick through the hole at the top of the bottom half of the cooling unit to push the screen out. Place the cooling unit, the screen and the o-rings in the bowl of alcohol.
- Use the pick to remove the screen from the herb chamber of the Mighty. Put the screen in the bowl.
- Dip a cotton swab in alcohol. Tap away the excess; you don’t want liquid to get below the herb chamber. Rub the cotton swab around the inside of the herb chamber to remove the sticky resins.
- Remove the items from the bowl of alcohol. Rinse the items and dry them thoroughly.
- Reassemble the Mighty by following the above steps in reverse.
Depending on how dirty the components of your Mighty are, you may need to soak those items in the alcohol for a while to fully dislodge the sticky compounds. After an hour two, anything still sticking to those components should rinse away easily in the sink.
Storz & Bickel Mighty vs. Crafty
You can essentially think of the Crafty as a single-battery version of the Mighty. In addition to having half of the battery life, the Crafty lacks the on-board controls of the Mighty. You’ll access the fine controls of the Crafty via a smartphone app. The benefit of the Crafty, though, is that it’s significantly smaller than the Mighty — about an inch narrower and more than an inch shorter. It’s also 40 percent lighter. Between the two, the actual heating engine is the same — so the vaping experience is the same. The price difference between them is therefore relatively small.
- You should buy the Mighty if you want better battery life and prefer on-board controls.
- You should buy the Crafty if you want the same great vaping performance in a significantly smaller package.
Storz & Bickel Mighty Vaporizer Review: The Last Word
In short, the Storz & Bickel Mighty is the best portable dry herb vaporizer that’s ever come through these doors. Between the extremely solid design, the elegant and functional heating engine and the dual-battery system that lasts and lasts, we sincerely doubt that you’ll find a better device anywhere capable of running on battery power. If you have the means, this is definitely the device that you want to buy — and if you think that you don’t have the means, just consider how much money you’ll save when you cut your herb usage in half. Many of the world’s top vaporizer sellers offer the Storz & Bickel Mighty. We suggest the following sources:
- Storz & Bickel ($349)
- Namaste Vaporizers ($349 with free USA shipping and $20 off with mailing list subscription)
- Rock-solid design
- Superb vaping performance — get the same experience with less material
- Superb battery life
The Not So Good
- Definitely not cheap
- Cleaning is a bit of a challenge