With the release of the IQ vaporizer, DaVinci successfully created a product as fashionable as it was functional. The IQ was — and is — ready to compete head on with other lifestyle vaporizers such as the PAX 3. The fact that the IQ has been so successful for DaVinci made it something of a surprise when the company announced the imminent release of the new MIQRO vaporizer. Aside perhaps from the fact that cleaning it was a bit of a challenge, the DaVinci IQ was a device about which most people had no complaints. As great as the IQ is, though, the DaVinci MIQRO may actually be the superior device in many ways. It is even smaller and lighter than the IQ — perhaps the smallest fashion vaporizer currently available — and it features a cleaner user interface, a fully removable vapor path and a terrific kit that’s absolutely packed with goodies.
If you want a dry herb vaporizer that’s stylish, sleek and pocketable without forcing you to compromise on performance — and you don’t care about things like a huge bowl size, all-day battery life or the ability to vaporize concentrates, the DaVinci MIQRO is the perfect vaporizer for you. It is a surprisingly affordable device for what you get — and in our experience, the smaller bowl size is less of a handicap than you might think. Between the excellent airflow and the extremely efficient oven, we found that the DaVinci MIQRO actually produced a more potent experience than many larger vaporizers while using less material.
View the DaVinci MIQRO now at the DaVinci official website. Devices start at $149 and ship free in within the lower 48 states.
What Is the DaVinci MIQRO?
The DaVinci MIQRO brings the technological advancements of the DaVinci IQ forward to a new device that’s just as powerful and significantly smaller. Regarding the DaVinci IQ, some people had a few minor criticisms. One criticism was that the Pearl — a ceramic zirconium ball that kept the material in place while compressing it for more efficient vaporization — was a bit wobbly and not really useful for packing a half oven load. The DaVinci MIQRO corrects that with a new Pearl that’s larger and more stable. The new Pearl can really help you get a bowl with firm, even packing and great material-to-oven contact.
The second criticism that some people had with the IQ was that cleaning the full vapor path wasn’t easy. Although that fact didn’t diminish the experience of using the IQ in practice, some people felt that they could never quite scrub the device fully clean. With the DaVinci MIQRO, you lose the Flavor Capsule of the IQ – but you gain a vapor path that’s fully removable and cleanable.
The fully removable vapor path of the DaVinci MIQRO is a shout out to the DaVinci Ascent from 2013. The glass stem made the Ascent eminently cleanable while also giving it excellent flavor characteristics. The downside of the Ascent, though, is that the glass is easy to break. Many vape shops carry replacement glass stems for the DaVinci Ascent – and it’s not an expensive component – but it’s better to have a stem that you can’t break in the first place. The ceramic zirconia vapor path of the DaVinci MIQRO gives you the best of both worlds. It’s easy to clean and difficult to break.
DaVinci MIQRO: Features
- Smallest high-performance dry herb vaporizer on the market
- Removable 18350 battery
- Five-year warranty
- Compatible with dry herbs only
- Fully removable ceramic zirconium vapor path for best flavor and easy cleaning
- Reaches vaporizing temperature in 37 seconds
- DaVinci MIQRO Pearl packs your herbs for maximum efficiency and allows you to reduce oven size by up to 50 percent
- Choose your temperature or use one of four pre-programmed Smart Paths
- On-demand boost mode; press a button for instant maximum vapor production
DaVinci MIQRO: What’s Included
You can buy the DaVinci MIQRO in two flavors. There’s the basic kit for $149 and the Explorer’s Collection for $199. We highly recommend springing for the Explorer’s Collection if you can. The extra accessories are more than worth the extra $50.
Here’s what you get with the Explorer’s Collection:
- DaVinci MIQRO device
- Two 900 mAh 18350 batteries
- Standard mouthpiece and extended mouthpiece
- Grinder coin; simply rub your herbs over the coin for easy grinding
- Silicone sleeve; protects the device and helps to dissipate heat
- Zipper case; holds your vaporizer and a few extra accessories
- Carrying can; provides convenient smell-free storage of pre-ground herbs and a spare battery
- Keychain ring
- Extra packing/picking tool
- Cleaning wipes
- Pipe cleaners
- USB cable
The basic kit includes only the device, the two mouthpieces, the cleaning accessories and the USB cable.
The zipper case and carrying can are the two highlights of the DaVinci MIQRO Explorer’s Collection. The aluminum carrying can provides durable, airtight storage that keeps your herbs fresh and ensures that their smells stay put. Even if you don’t want to travel with your herbs, the can is still useful in that it provides safe transportation for your spare battery.
The real gem of the Explorer’s Collection, though, is the zipper case. When a vaping kit includes a carrying case, you’d expect that case to be a cheap toss-in; this one definitely isn’t. The DaVinci MIQRO case has a smooth zipper, plenty of padding and lots of room. The material even feels nice. It’s perfect.
Using the DaVinci MIQRO
When you first remove the DaVinci MIQRO from the box, you’ll begin by charging the battery via the USB port. Our DaVinci MIQRO review sample arrived with two fully charged batteries, but your mileage may vary. Flip open the bottom lid to load the oven. In our experience, the MIQRO is a bit easier to fill than its predecessor. Simply pile the herbs around the oven and tap the device gently to make the herbs drop in. Pack them down with your finger or with the packing/picking tool under the device’s top lid. Close the lid firmly to further pack the herbs with the DaVinci Pearl, and you’re ready to go. Even with a very tightly packed oven, the MIQRO has great airflow.
The DaVinci MIQRO Pearl Is Greatly Improved
We love the design of the new DaVinci Pearl. The slightly oblong shape is a much better fit for the oven and makes the new Pearl much more useful as a packing and insulation tool than the Pearl of the DaVinci IQ. In addition, the improved stability of the new Pearl makes it more useful if you want to reduce the oven capacity of the MIQRO. Just twist the Pearl to reduce the oven size by as much as 50 percent.
The DaVinci MIQRO Has Great Airflow
Hands down, the DaVinci MIQRO has just about the best airflow of any portable dry herb vaporizer we’ve tested. It’s easy to inhale deeply, and you can use the MIQRO for many sessions before the innards start to seem a bit gummed up. We’ve actually had better sessions with the DaVinci MIQRO than we have with the IQ and the Ascent in spite of those devices’ larger oven sizes, which made us feel like we were getting more out of our material while using less. From our point of view, that makes the DaVinci MIQRO a device that can really pay for itself over time. Having superior flavor is a great feature – and the MIQRO definitely offers that – but ultimately, you use a vaporizer because you want to extract the beneficial compounds from your herbs in the most efficient way possible. That’s exactly what the MIQRO delivers.
Does the DaVinci MIQRO Get Hot?
Heat was a major concern that some users had with the DaVinci IQ. The unit could get so hot during operation that some people found it uncomfortable to hold. The MIQRO also gets hot, but we’d say subjectively that it seems a bit less hot. Holding it also isn’t quite so uncomfortable. The comfort level is also helped greatly by the silicone sleeve, which does an excellent job of minimizing skin contact with the hot metal on the outside of the device.
The DaVinci MIQRO Is Easy to Clean
If you hate cleaning your vaporizer, you will absolutely love how the DaVinci MIQRO handles that otherwise tedious task. One of the first things we noticed when testing this device is that the surface of the oven seems somehow smoother or more slippery than those of the DaVinci Ascent and IQ. While those two devices would build up thick cakes of resin in their ovens fairly quickly, we have yet to encounter an oven load with the MIQRO that can’t be scraped out quickly and fully with the pick tool. Better herb-to-oven contact means better heating, so the smoother oven surface doesn’t just make the MIQRO easier to clean; it also helps the device use your material more efficiently.
When it’s time for a deep cleaning, you are really going to fall in love with the DaVinci MIQRO. Open the top lid, wedge the prying tool into the chimney and pull straight up to remove the entire vapor path from the device. It’s so easy. You can also unscrew the Pearl and pop the mouthpiece out of the device’s lid. Soak everything in alcohol for 24 hours and rinse the components under running water. You can clean the oven with an alcohol-soaked cotton swab or by wrapping one of the included alcohol wipes around your finger. The DaVinci IQ was durable but difficult to clean. The Ascent was easy to clean but fragile. With the MIQRO, DaVinci has finally released a portable vaporizer that’s both easy to clean and difficult to break. We love it.
The DaVinci MIQRO Enhances Your Sessions in Subtle Ways
We don’t have to tell you that your mental state can play a huge role in the benefits that you reap from your vaping sessions. The DaVinci MIQRO includes a few little Easter eggs that can help to put you in the right frame of mind. Since you’ll see nothing about that in the device’s instruction manual, we can only assume that DaVinci wanted owners of the MIQRO to discover those little secrets on their own – so we’ll say no more.
Controlling the DaVinci MIQRO
Opinions will certainly vary on this subject, but we’re fans of vaporizers that have all of their controls onboard. If you’re a fan of devices with Bluetooth and mobile app support, we’re sorry to say that you won’t find those features here – but we like it that way. In our experience, controlling a vaporizer with a smartphone is an activity that loses its novelty very quickly. We’d much rather have all of the relevant functions on the device itself, and that’s what you get with the DaVinci MIQRO.
You can access all of the MIQRO’s functions with just three buttons. Here is a short summary of the device’s controls. Press:
- The power button five times quickly to turn the device on and off
- The up and down buttons during a vaping session to toggle between Smart Path modes
- The power button once during a vaping session to switch between temperature control and Smart Path modes
- The up and down buttons to adjust the temperature when in temperature control mode
- The power button and hold it down to engage Boost Mode and ramp the oven up to its maximum temperature; release the button to leave Boost Mode
- The power and down buttons simultaneously to dim the display and enter Stealth Mode
- The power and up buttons simultaneously to leave Stealth Mode
- The up and down buttons simultaneously to check the remaining battery life
Does the DaVinci MIQRO Have Any Drawbacks?
The only drawback of the DaVinci MIQRO is a natural consequence of its small size – the battery life isn’t the best. You can expect to get about four five-minute sessions out of a single charge. We like our vaping sessions a bit more on the leisurely side, though; we’re just getting started at the five-minute mark. Although we can probably squeeze two lengthy sessions out of the MIQRO on a single battery charge, we prefer to remain on the safe side and charge the device after each session. The good news is that the MIQRO has pass-through functionality, so you can use it while the battery charges.
Our only real criticism of the DaVinci MIQRO is that we’d have liked to see an external charger included. Although the device does include an extra battery, using the MIQRO itself as a battery charger – swapping the two batteries constantly – isn’t very practical. Nevertheless, one day your primary battery will stop holding a charge. On that day, you’ll be glad to have a backup.
DaVinci MIQRO vs IQ
At $275, the DaVinci IQ costs significantly more than the Explorer’s Collection version of the DaVinci MIQRO. In our opinion, though, the MIQRO is actually the superior device in many ways. Between the two, the MIQRO is the device we’d suggest buying. Compared to the DaVinci IQ, the MIQRO:
- Is smaller, lighter and more portable
- Has better airflow and seems to extract more from the material
- Is much easier to clean
- Has an oven size that’s easier to adjust
- Has an oven that’s easier to pack firmly
- Feels a bit cooler in the hand
- Lacks the Flavor Chamber of the DaVinci IQ
- Has about half the battery life of the DaVinci IQ
DaVinci MIQRO vs Ascent
At the time of writing, the DaVinci website no longer lists the Ascent vaporizer. The Ascent was DaVinci’s flagship vaporizer for years, though, and you can still find it in many vape shops. At the time of its release, the all-glass vapor path of the DaVinci Ascent was a pretty revolutionary feature. With its great flavor characteristics, reliable oven and easily cleanable – if fragile – vapor path, the Ascent remains a superb vape today. Compared to the Ascent, the DaVinci MIQRO:
- Is much more durable. As we mentioned above, the DaVinci Ascent glass stem isn’t very expensive or difficult to find. It’s better, though, to have a stem that’s almost impossible to break in the first place.
- Holds a bit less material, although it’s kind of a wash because the MIQRO seems to use the material more efficiently.
- Is significantly smaller. While the Ascent was a highly pocketable vape in its day, the IQ and MIQRO are both significantly more compact.
- Has much better airflow. The glass stem of the DaVinci Ascent has a few small holes at the bottom, and all of the vapor needs to travel through those holes to reach your mouth. The holes get gummed up pretty easily, leading to a tight draw and lower vapor production.
DaVinci MIQRO vs PAX 3
Obviously, anyone looking for a small and fashionable vaporizer is going to want to know how it compares with the flagship vape from PAX Labs – so this review wouldn’t be complete without a DaVinci MIQRO vs. PAX 3 comparison. Compared to the PAX 3, the DaVinci MIQRO:
- Costs less. $200 gets you the wonderful MIQRO Explorer’s Collection. If you opt to spend the same amount on the PAX 3, though, you’ll only get the device.
- Is smaller. While the PAX 3 measures 4 x 1 x 1 inches, the DaVinci MIQRO measures 3.13 x 1.34 x 0.91 inches. That’s a total volume of 4 cubic inches for the PAX 3 and 3.816 cubic inches for the DaVinci MIQRO. That’s just about a 5-percent size reduction.
- Is more powerful. While the PAX 3 reaches a maximum temperature of 420 degrees, the MIQRO reaches 430 degrees.
- Is easier to control. The PAX 3 has a one-button control scheme and requires you to use a mobile app if you want to fine tune the device’s settings. You can access every function of the DaVinci MIQRO using the device’s three buttons.
- Has a shorter warranty. While the warranty for the DaVinci MIQRO is five years, the PAX 3 has a 10-year warranty. Note that neither warranty covers normal wear and tear or the expected decrease of battery capacity over time.
DaVinci MIQRO Review: Conclusion
The DaVinci MIQRO occupies a unique space in the market as the only high-performance vaporizer with such a small size. You’ll get something special when you buy this device, but you’ll pay for it. Given the high value of the added accessories, it makes sense to buy the MIQRO Explorer’s Collection if you can afford it – but $200 is a lot to pay for a vaping device. We think it’s worth it, though. Owning a better device means that you can use your material more efficiently, using less material to get the same effect. In that way, the MIQRO can very quickly pay for itself.
It’s a great bonus that the MIQRO is so easy to clean. It’s typical for the smallest vaporizers to be pretty finicky when it comes to cleaning. In the case of the DaVinci IQ, you can’t remove the entire vapor path. You can remove the vapor path from the DaVinci Ascent, but the fragile glass stem is easy to break. The PAX 3 doesn’t even have a removable vapor path; you have to get in there with a pipe cleaner instead. It’s hard to imagine anything being easier than pulling the durable stem out of the DaVinci MIQRO and soaking it in alcohol to remove buildup. We know of no other small vaporizer that’s nearly as easy to maintain.
View the DaVinci MIQRO now at the DaVinci official website. Devices start at $149 and ship free in within the lower 48 states.
DaVinci MIQRO Review: The Good
- Much smaller and lighter than any other fashion vaporizer on the market
- Superb airflow makes you feel like you’re getting the most from your material
- Durable removable vapor path makes cleaning completely hassle free
- Thoughtful additions add great value to the Explorer’s Collection kit
DaVinci MIQRO Review: The Not So Good
- Battery life won’t break any records
- An external battery charger would have been a nice addition to the Explorer’s Collection kit