The Storz & Bickel Mighty (Review) is surely one of the finest dry herb vaporizers on the market. Our unit has seen regular daily use since we published our review during the first half of 2019, and it’s safe to say that it has been through the ringer. Fortunately for you, that means we are also experts when it comes to maintaining and cleaning the Storz & Bickel Mighty.
So, have you purchased the Mighty from one of the world’s finer vaporizer sellers like Lux Vapes? If so, you’re going to need to know how to keep it working its best. This isn’t going to be like the other Mighty cleaning guides that you’ve seen online. As you’ve probably noticed, the typical dry herb vaporizer cleaning guide shows you how to “clean” a vape that’s brand spanking new. That’s not how things work in the real world. This guide is a report from the trenches. We’re going to explain how to get your Mighty back to like-new performance after you’ve actually used it – no matter how sticky and grimy it may be.
Not a Mighty owner yet? Grab it from Lux Vapes for just $349.99.
Mighty Vaporizer Cleaning: What You Need
As you become more experienced with the Mighty vaporizer, you’re probably going to develop some cleaning and maintenance techniques of your own. To follow our method, though, you’re going to need a few things.
- Mighty Wear & Tear Set: This set pretty much becomes a requirement after you’ve owned the Mighty for a few months. It includes multiple replacements for each of the Mighty’s screens along with several mouthpieces and an entirely new cooling unit. The cooling unit is our main concern here. You can keep your Mighty up and running while cleaning one cooling unit if you have another cooling unit to use in the meantime.
- Rubbing Alcohol: Nothing dissolves the stickiest, most stubborn resins like rubbing alcohol. Alternatively, you can also use a very strong drinking alcohol. Clear Spring is 190 proof and cleans nearly as well as rubbing alcohol. We’ll explain why you might want to do that in a moment.
- Cotton Swabs: Probably the best vaporizer cleaning tools in existence.
- Mason Jar: Mason jars seal tightly, making them perfect for soaking your Mighty’s dirty components.
Cleaning the Mighty Vaporizer: Getting Started
We suggest cleaning the Storz & Bickel Mighty when you’ve recently finished a vaping session. The heat softens the resins in the vaporizer’s cooling unit, making the unit easier to separate. Do wait until the vaporizer is cool enough to touch, though; the oven gets extremely hot during use.
Fill your mason jar with alcohol and get plenty of cotton swabs ready. You may also find some paper towels and a metal dab tool handy. Remove the cooling unit from your Mighty and empty the oven.
Cleaning the Mighty Cooling Unit
Cleaning the Mighty cooling unit is incredibly easy when you have a spare unit that you can use in the meantime. Simply follow these steps.
- Extend the mouthpiece. Wiggle and pull it gently until it comes out of its hole. Place the mouthpiece in the alcohol.
- Push the plastic piece with the “Mighty” logo on the top of the cooling unit toward the hole where the mouthpiece was. That piece is the locking mechanism that holds the cooling unit together. Lift it from one side to remove it from the cooling unit.
- Grip the top and bottom of the cooling unit and pull gently to separate the two halves. Do this slowly; if you’ve been using your device for a while, the cooling unit will be full of sticky, messy resins.
- Examine the bottom half of the cooling unit. You’ll see a hole that leads to the screen in the base of the unit. If you want to replace the screen, push a dab tool through the hole. The screen pops out. If the screen isn’t too worn and is still holding its shape, just leave it in; the alcohol will clean it.
- Place the disassembled cooling unit in the alcohol.
Cleaning the Mighty Vaporizer
Now, it’s time to clean the Mighty vaporizer itself. To do that, you’re going to need a lot of cotton swabs. Dip a cotton swab in alcohol and rub it around the oven. The alcohol immediately begins to dissolve the stuck-on resins. If you encounter a blob of resin that’s particularly difficult to remove, wet it with a little alcohol and scrape it gently with a dab tool. Switch between the alcohol and the dab tool until the blob is gone. After you’ve used a dozen or so cotton swabs, your Mighty’s oven will look just about as good as new. Don’t expect it to return to its original pure and shiny state, though; vaping will discolor some parts of any device’s oven permanently.
Have you noticed that the bottom of your Mighty’s oven has a screen? For a few cleaning sessions, you can just leave the screen where it is. After you’ve used the Mighty for several months, though, you’re probably going to want to remove the screen and clean the bottom of your device’s oven. Poke the screen a few times with your dab tool. The screen will warp, and you can then just tap the device to remove it. If the screen is really stuck, remove it with tweezers. Clean the bottom of the oven with cotton swabs and alcohol. Be careful about how much alcohol you use; you don’t want it to seep below the oven.
After giving the Mighty a few minutes to dry, take a new screen and place it over the center of the oven. Push down gently to mold the screen into the bottom of the oven.
Cleaning Your Mighty Dosing Capsules
We think that using Storz & Bickel’s dosing capsules is one of the best parts of owning the Mighty vaporizer. Grinding herbs can be a seriously messy and smelly affair. With the dosing capsules, you can pre-grind your herbs for several sessions in advance and simply remove the capsules from your magazine as you need them.
Many people have commented, however, that the dosing capsules can be extremely difficult to open after they’ve been used. The resins build up and essentially seal the capsules together. Are you tired of tearing up your fingernails trying to pry the capsules apart? Our cleaning method is so simple that you’ll wonder why you didn’t think of it yourself – just dump your used capsules into a mason jar with alcohol. After about a day of soaking, the alcohol will loosen the capsules to the point where you can easily pop them open and rinse them in the sink. With the alcohol cleaning method, you can continue reusing the same set of Mighty dosing capsules for months.
Pro Tip: Use Your Mighty Vape to Make an ABV Tincture
Elsewhere on this site, we’ve published a complete guide describing all of the things that you can do with your already-been-vaped (ABV) herbs. Your vaped herbs still contain some medicinal compounds because vaping doesn’t extract those compounds completely. In addition, the sticky resins in your vaporizer’s cooling unit are still usable – and they’re quite potent.
So, here is the reason why you might want to clean your Mighty vape with a strong drinking alcohol rather than rubbing alcohol even though isopropyl alcohol is significantly less expensive: It’s because you can collect and use the resins from your vape. After a day of soaking the cooling unit in drinking alcohol, you’ll have a tincture that you can bottle. You can also draw the active compounds out of your used dosing capsules in the same way.
If you want to make a tincture from the resins from your Mighty vaporizer, we have three tips.
- High-proof alcohols aren’t for drinking straight. Clear Spring, for example, is more than double the strength of vodka. It is also extremely flammable, as is rubbing alcohol. Exercise great caution.
- Take one dropper of the tincture at a time to gauge its strength. Wait several hours before taking more.
If you don’t want to bother with making a tincture from the resins in your Mighty cooling unit and dosing capsules, just use rubbing alcohol; it’s much cheaper. Dump the alcohol down your sink’s drain when you’re done with it; do not attempt to drink it.